Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Thumbnail Photos and Rheumatoid Arthritis Warriors

Real life RA'er meet-up

Something special happened to me yesterday. While on my trip, I got to meet a fellow RA Warrior in person. It was sweet.

I think we were both excited just to see each other in the flesh. It is great to get to see the real person behind the thumbnail photo. And even better to get a real hug.

We could also swap RA stories and compare hands. Stuff you can’t see in the thumbnail.

A couple of times, Cindy has been a source of encouragement to me. Of course, I am much happier encouraging others, as I’ll bet you are too. Oh well, maybe I will get my chance to be the encourager another time.

It was helpful to me to hear her tell about her process of acceptance of the Rheumatoid Arthritis diagnosis. We also laughed about the ridiculous cures that have been offered to us such as multivitamins. The visit was much too brief though.

Still, she earned the new handle “Pizza Dealer” after we spent half an hour trying to get a pizza delivered to my hotel. Finally, she ended up having to negotiate in person while she went to recover the pizzas. She seemed unflappable. What a fantastic lady.

I know that each one of you is a real flesh and blood warrior just like Cindy and I are. What a privilege it is to talk with you every day here on the blog. Until we can all meet in person, I will be thrilled with the thumbnails.

3 comments:

Lexie said...

lol I totally understand the hand comparing. I've tried posting a picture of my hand on my newest post, but I don't know if you can really tell any difference!! Btw, I just emailed you!!

Blessings...

Anonymous said...

It was funny and wonderful! Still smiling.

Pizza Dealer:)

What a weird experience all the way...like they'd never heard of it or something....

When we finally found someone willing to just cook it, I went to pick it up and the guy said "$39.99" to which I just blurted "no way" because we hadn't ordered very much (kind of embarrassed myself - what manners?!).

So he starts recalculating, checking some little private notes, making notes on something else, and I could have sworn I saw him reach into his sock at one point...

...and you had to stand outside and get the pizza through a slot......found myself looking around for cops:)

It was like it was a drug deal or something.

Next time you come, I'll just make the pizza myself ok:)

Kelly Young said...

Cindy! Meeting with you was definately a highpoint to the trip.

BTW! you won't believe how EASY our pizza deals are here on the Space Coast!!! I call at 5 on Wednesdays. I get 2 pizzas w/3 toppings. Pick up in 15 minutes. Only $15!!!! It is easy, so every Wednesday is pizza night... shhh: don't let the secret get out.